Ephesians 6:1-4 NLT
Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. 2"Honor your father and mother." This is the first commandment with a promise: 3If you honor your father and mother, "things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth." 4Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
Deuteronomy 6:5-9 NLT
And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 6And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
2 Timothy 2:22 NIV
Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
1 Timothy 4:12 NIV
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
Psalms 71:5-6, 17 NIV
For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth. 6From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you … 17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
• What is the role of parents in the spiritual growth of their children?
• How much does Deuteronomy 6 resemble your current family and/or your family growing up? What are you doing well and what are you missing?
• Why do you think American Christian parents have largely surrendered responsibility to disciple and teach the Word of God to their children?
• How can the church help Christian parents, disciple their own children?
• If you are a parent, what do you personally need to do better to disciple your children?
• What does God expect from his youthful followers?
1. Pray for our church to develop strong ministries to children, youth and parents.
2. Pray for parents to be more active, intentional and confident in discipling their children.
3. Pray for the young people in our church to be faithful disciples of Christ now, and seek to make a difference in their world for Christ.
4. Pray that 1 Timothy 2 and 4, and Psalm 71 would characterize our children and youth.
5. Pray forour Children’s Ministry and leadership:
Cindy Van Pelt, Denise Kimbrough, Audra Yerxa, Karen Turner, All teachers and assistants
6. Pray for our Student Ministry and leadership:
Randy Ramos – High School , Andrew Cuellar – Mid-High, All teachers, assistants and disciplers.